What is Juntos Avanzamos?
Juntos Avanzamos – Together We Advance – is a designation for credit unions committed to serving and empowering Hispanic consumers.
Juntos Avanzamos was developed by the Cornerstone Credit Union League as an immigrant outreach program in Texas and now taken national by the National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions in partnership with state credit union associations and Coopera.
To earn the Juntos Avanzamos certification, Ascentra has demonstrated that it is committed to financial inclusion and developed its institutional capacity to meet the needs of Hispanics and immigrant consumers.
The US is home to the largest immigrant population
in the world:
- 45.8 million (1 out of 8 residents).
- Nationwide Hispanics represent 17 percent of the US population and 41.5 percent of low income Hispanics are unbanked.
- There are over 170 thousand Hispanics in Iowa and as a demographic, they are projected to grow to almost half a million by 2050.
- Illinois boasts the 5th largest Hispanic population in the U.S. with over 2 million Hispanics.
- One out of every two Hispanic households is unbanked or underbanked, which significantly limits asset building opportunities available to this fast growing community.
About Juntos Avanzamos:
The number of Juntos Avanzamos credit unions is expanding rapidly; today the network includes 70 credit unions in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Participant credit unions serve more than 4 million consumers and deliver responsible financial products through 435 community branches.
The Federation is leading the national expansion of Juntos Avanzamos,in partnership with the Network of Latino Credit Unions and Professionals(NLCUP); Coopera, Iowa-based consultants to the industry on the Hispanic market; and a growing number of state leagues and associations across the country, including the Cornerstone League, the California and Nevada Credit Union League, Mountain West Credit Union Association, Credit Union Association of New Mexico, and the Iowa Credit Union League.