Some benefits of our Private Student Loan are:
- Deferred payment. No payments are due while you are enrolled at least half-time and for months after you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment.
- Several payment plans to fit your financial situation.
All applicants must:
- Be a member of Ascentra Credit Union.
- Be the age of majority in your state of residence at the time of application.
- Not have defaulted on any private or government education loan.
- Be attending any nonprofit, Title IV eligible, degree-granting, regionally accredited college or university or nonprofit school of nursing.
- Be accepted, enrolled or attending on at least a half-time basis, as defined by the school, and making satisfactory academic progress in an eligible education program.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. Cosigner(s) must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and must reside in the U.S. Military addresses are considered U.S. addresses if designated as a APO or FPO.
Ascentra Credit Union requests that you and your parents work with financial aid professionals at your respective college or university to ensure that you have first applied for all applicable forms of federal, state and institutional financial aid for which you are eligible, including federal student loans, prior to obtaining a private student loan. Accepting a private loan before utilizing other types of aid available may decrease your eligibility for federal, state and institutional aid.
To apply for an Ascentra Credit Union Private Student Loan Click Here!
Complete the FAFSA First
The first step in applying for financial aid, which includes federal student loans, is completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA and EZ FAFSA are free forms provided by the U.S. Department of Education that may be completed without professional assistance via paper application or online at www.fafsa.gov.
In your award letter from your college, the financial aid office will inform you of your eligibility for federal student loans.
Additional College Planning Assistance
If you are looking for information on planning for, paying for and succeeding in college, Ascentra Credit Union recommends the Iowa College Access Network® (ICAN). ICAN offers free services, including assistance with completing the FAFSA, to students and their families. Visit www.ICANsucceed.org or call (877) CPC-Iowa for more information about ICAN.