Making Cents of Flood Insurance

  • Jul 9, 2019

Rising waters pose a threat to people and property, and many believe their homeowners or renters insurance will cover flooding due to rising floodwaters. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. 

Usually the only flood damage covered by most of homeowner's policies is in cases of a burst pipe or if your roof is damaged by a storm and water enters your home.

Flood insurance specifically covers damage resulting from rising floodwaters - protecting your finances and providing peace of mind.

Flood Risk Areas are determined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, and are rated as low, moderate, or high-risk.

According to FEMA, more than 20 percent of flood claims come from properties outside high-risk flood zones.  Flood hazards may change over time due to land developments, or changing weather. 

Visit and use the Flood Map tool to find the risk zone for your home or business.

Then speak a trusted insurance agent to see if flood insurance makes sense for you.